Leaving the traditional ways of wired connectivity, Miracast for Windows 10 helps to beam the computer screen with another screen. Miracast is all in one solution for Windows 10 to share single or multiple screens with any device using wireless connectivity. Either Bluetooth or WiFi, it helps to share screen within seconds and causes no lags.
Nowadays, Apple AirPlay and Google’s Chrome cast, has become the sole tool for screen wireless connectivity. Both of them can share a screen or beam to another screen for Android and iOS systems. But to beam or share the screen of Windows computers with another screen (like TV, Monitor, Projector, etc.) with wireless connectivity, Miracast is the only available tool.
Read the guide below to know everything about Miracast. In this guide, you can find a way to download miracast, its installation, along with error and fixes.
What Is Miracast?
Miracast is run and developed by Wi-Fi Alliance which helps in monitoring the content on the screen to be shared wirelessly. It is compatible with mobile phones, Projectors, Smart TV, Laptops, Desktops, tablets, etc. It is the tool that helps the connectivity with WiFi rather than traditional HDMI cables for screen output.
Miracast is becoming popular with the availability of wireless devices. Wireless streaming has achieved popularity and nowadays most streaming devices come with support for Miracast. It was firstly introduced by Microsoft with Windows 8 allowing to share HD videos or screen sharing wirelessly. Not the only screen, but it also lets the sound sharing as well.
- PC screen only: Disable the second screen and display content only on the original screen.
- Duplicate: Duplicates the content on both the screens.
- Extend: Extends the display and working area, settings can be easily changed in display settings.
- Second screen only: Disable your primary screen and display content only on the second screen.
Sometimes it can cause issues like no sound coming, or miracast not supporting the hardware or it may become incompatible with the browsers. Miracast comes pre-installed computers with windows 10.
How to Setup Miracast In Windows 10?
Miracast in Windows 10 can easily support mirroring from devices like laptop or Android phone to Desktop. Using Miracast mirroring is easy. It comes pre-installed in Windows 10 and sometimes just needs to be enabled. All of the laptops or PC with wireless connectivity hardware support miracast.
Miracast uses the PC adaptor and WiFi for the connectivity. Firstly you need to find out that your PC supports Miracast. Once you have checked for Miracast connectivity, Ensure Wi-Fi is switched on and try again – the warning message should disappear.
- If your TV comes with built-in Miracast support, then turn it On. Else connect the external adapter into the HDMI port of your television and power it on.
- Now on your Windows PC, navigate to Start -> Settings -> Devices -> Connected Devices.
- Click on ‘Add a Device’ and wait for the adapter to appear in the list. Click on the receiving adapter and that’s all. You’ve set up the wireless display.
- You can now configure both the displays by pressing ‘Win+P’ and selecting a relevant option.
If not, make sure your other device is turned on and has Miracast enabled. Also, ensure the firmware and software are up to date. If you want to beam your screen to a projector, TV or other screens which don’t support Miracast natively, you can use HDMI cable connectivity.
How to Project Any PC Screen Using Miracast With Windows 10?
In case the user wants to connect one miracast enabled PC with another Windows computer that also supports miracast can be done easily. This is possible from Windows 10 versions onwards for Windows computer. Follow the steps to connect to PC using Miracast;Image Source: Miracast.com
- Search for ‘Projecting‘ in Windows 10’s Search box.
- Now simply click on the Projecting option located under the Windows settings tab.
- Change the setting which says Always off to Available everywhere.
- Now, go to your other device and, if it’s a Windows PC, press Win+K to search for the PC you just enabled wireless projection on.
- This will connect the two windows 10 pc with one another using wireless connectivity.
How to Fix “PC or mobile device doesn’t support Miracast” error?
Many times when you try to mirror or beam your screen with another device, you may receive an error stating “Your PC or mobile device doesn’t support Miracast, so it can’t project wirelessly”. There can be many reasons for the error to appear. Usually, the main reasons for the error are;
- Any of the devices you are trying to connect do not support Miracast.
- Graphical Processing Unit is disabled.
- Wireless adaptor is set to resolution oh 5-6GHz.
- Any third party software interfering with Miracast Screen Mirroring.
- Wi-Fi is turned off when connecting through Intel Graphics Chipset.
Below are the complete fixes for Windows 10 Miracast Not Working;
FIX 1: Check Device for Compatibility With Miracast
It is the first check that shall be conducted before connecting any device wirelessly using miracast. Make sure that the device you are trying to connect is supported by Windows 10 Miracast or not. Since it Runs using the graphics driver support or network adaptor, make sure that they are functional and support wireless connection. Follow the steps below to check compatibility;
For Graphics Driver Support:
- Press Windows key + R, to start a RUN dialog,
- Now type
'dxdiag'and hit Enter.
- It will open the DirectX Window.
- Click on the option saying ‘Save All Information’, and save the file as .txt extension, and close all the windows.
- Now go to documents find the file named DxDiag.txt and open it.
- Read the file and search for the MIracast option. If it says that status of the device as “Available, with HDCP.” Then Miracast is able to Run on PC. Now check the driver model option, if it says WDDM 1.3 or above available, it means your system doesn’t support Miracast.
For Network Adaptor Support:
- Type PowerShell in Cortana.
- Right-click PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
- In the window, copy and paste the command:
Get-netadapter|select Name, ndisversion
- Now press enter.
If the NDIS Version is showing above 6.00, then Your PCs network adaptor also supports Miracast. However, if the values are below 6.00, then Network adaptors need to be updated. To update the network adaptor drivers, follow the steps below and increase the NDIS values.
- Open the Run dialog (Windows key + R)
- Type devmgmt.msc.
- Now Locate your network adapter and right-click on it by selecting Update driver.
- You can use Auslogics Driver Updater to ensure that your drivers are always up to date.
FIX 2: Check If the WiFi is Enabled
If the devices you are trying to connect supports Miracast, and still, you are experiencing the error, Then you shall check for the WiFi connectivity. Follow the steps t check if the Wifi is enabled for both the devices.
- Open RUN dialog and type
'ms-settings:network-wifi'followed by OK.
- You’ll be led to the Wi-Fi tab of the Network and Internet Settings menu.
- Click on the toggle to activate Wi-Fi if it is deactivated.
- Make check on the secondary device like android phone or projector for WiFi connectivity. If the WiFi is not enabled, you can simply do it from settings option.
FIX 3: Check for Wireless Selection Mode
Sometimes Miracast is unable to get connected because of Wireless adaptor misconfiguration. The error occurs because of the wireless adaptor settings to 5GHz or 802.11blg instead of Auto. Setting it to Auto can solve the problem. Follow the steps below to set the wireless adaptor output configuration to auto:
- Go to Windows Device Manager, from the control panel.
- Go to the Network Adapters drop-down and expand it.
- Now simply right-click on Wireless network adaptor and go to properties.
- Click on the Advanced Tab.
- Now Click on the Value drop-down menu and select Auto.
- Save the changes and restart your PC. Try to reconnect the computer wirelessly.
FIX 4: Enable GPU Rendering
Enabling the GPU settings for Intel Integrated Graphics can help to solve the Miracast connectivity issues. This can be enabled by going into the BIOS setup of the computer. Make sure to search for the model number of your motherboard. You can also upgrade the working Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to enable 100% GPU rendering for Windows 10.
FIX 5: Reinstall or Update Wireless Network Adaptor Drivers
- Open The RUN dialog and type
devmgmt.mscfollowed by enter.
- Right-click on your wireless network adapter and select Uninstall device from the menu.
- Now click on the uninstall or update Button.
- If you have chosen to uninstall, then you need to install the fresh drivers. Whereas if you choose to update, then the drivers can get updated automatically over the internet.
FIX 6: Disable Third-Party Application
Disabling the third-party VPN solutions or antiviruses can also solve the problem. Software and applications like Cisco, Modern Host Setup, etc, can sometimes cause the errors in Miracast connectivity in Windows 10. Uninstalling or removing it can solve the purpose.
DIY: Setup Android TV Using Miracast
How to project your Windows 10 computer screen to a TV?
Windows 10 comes with pre-installed miracast that helps to connect any wireless device for screen projection. All you need is a display capable of receiving wireless signals and able to project them. The technology behind this entire setup is called ‘Miracast’.
It is a recently developed tool that was launched by Microsoft from Windows 8 onwards. Using Miracast in Windows 10 can help you to connect your PC with Television Screen. All you need is a Bluetooth or WiFi-enabled LED screen. If the Screen is not supported by wireless connectivity, then this can be done using dongle adaptors that get connected with HDMI port of the TV and can help to connect Windows 10 PC using Miracast.
Follow the steps below to connect TV with Windows 10 PC using Miracast;
- On your computer go to Settings, then open Devices.
- Now click on Add Bluetooth or other device and select the second option that says Wireless Display or dock.
- Simply select your device from the list of available devices and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once you’ve successfully added the device, you can start projecting to it.
- To start projecting, open the Action Center and click on Project.
- Click on Connect to a wireless display. Now select your wireless display and you’ve successfully connected to your TV.
- You can easily control the projection mode, hit Win+P from the keyboard to open the projection menu. Select a model that suits your task.
NOTE: Since Miracast Windows 10 operates with wireless range, Make sure that your computer stays in the range of Wireless Adaptor of the TV.
How to Download Miracast for Windows 10?
Most of the Windows PC & Laptop devices support Miracast and it is installed on their devices. But sometimes in older versions of Windows, Miracast doesn’t come pre-installed. It is easy. Usually, downloading and installing then windows update can install miracast on Windows 10 pc. But sometimes if the miracast is still not available, you can simply download it separately and install it. Click on the link below to download miracast for Windows 10 from Microsoft servers.
DOWNLOAD MIRACAST FOR WINDOWS 10
DOWNLOAD MIRACAST FOR WINDOWS 8
DOWNLOAD MIRACAST FOR WINDOWS 7
How to mirror Windows 10 screen to another device Using Miracast?
Microsoft released a unique feature in windows 10 that helps in screen mirroring with devices available in the network. The devices that are compatible with screen mirroring can be TV, projector, dongle stick, mobiles devices, etc. Windows 10 uses miracast that helps in screen mirroring.
Miracast is a tool that comes embedded in Windows 10 version 1607 or later. However, Miracast can be downloaded in the previous version of windows easily. To, start with, we need to change a few settings on the receiver computer.
Follow these steps to Mirror Windows 10 to Another Devices:
- Go to the system settings and open System Option,
- Now find ‘Projecting to this PC‘ in the left side of menu.
- From the first drop-down menu select, ‘Available everywhere’.
- And in the second drop-down select, ‘First time only’.
- Enable the option that says ‘Require PIN for pairing’ and change other settings as per your requirements.
- Now Save the changes and close the Windows.
Steps for connection:
- Make sure that both the devices are on the same local area network.
- Now on the PC whose screen is to be projected, go the ‘Action Centre’ and hit ‘Connect’.
- It will take a while to search for the available devices,
- and then you will be able to find the receiver computer in this list.
- Select the device and hit ‘Connect’.
- Now the connectivity will get established for Windows 10 with any other device.