Users must be friendly with Microsoft’s free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016. Till that time, Microsoft was offering the free update to Windows 10 from its previous versions. But at that time most of the users were happy to work with their current versions of Windows. Alas, the offer ended and Microsoft started charging for Windows 10 Activation.
Windows upgrade was delivered by Microsoft with GWX app, that generates the new ID for Windows 10 based on the previous version of any windows. Here we have activated GWX App for users those who seek to update to Windows 10 for free. Follow the article to Upgrade Windows 10 Now.
Windows 10 Upgrade in 2019
After the years of the end of the free offer to upgrade to Microsoft, users are still able to Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 / 8.1. The method is however still not known to the great Microsoft Technical team, or Some Microsoft forum claims that they just don’t ban the offer to promote Windows more as compared with MAC OS.
User can claim for free Upgrade along with the valid digital entitlement. There is also the simple options to upgrade to Windows 10 by simply installing and using the free product key to activate the version. Using the GWX app to revive the old offer of 2016 can help to activate Windows for free.
Check List: Before Starting Windows 10 Upgrade Process
Before starting with the process of upgrade, please make sure to follow the checks listed below.
1. Activate Previous Windows Version
This is the most important check. Make sure that before upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1, it is activated. Microsoft allows Windows 10 upgrade for free when the previous version of Windows is completely activated and licensed. If the earlier version is not activated, it can cause Error 0x803f7001 in between the up-gradation process.
Follow the steps to check the Windows activation status;
- Press Windows+W to open the search bar in Windows,
- type “activated” into the search box and hit enter.
- Further, see the “See if Windows Is Activated” result.
- Alternatively, you can look under Control Panel -> System to see the status of the machine.
- User can also simply right-click on My Computer and click on properties. Check for the activation status in Windows properties.
2. Create Backup
It is advised to create and save the backup for your files and folders every month. Please make sure that a proper backup is taken before starting the Windows upgrade process. Since the upgrade process cannot be interrupted in the middle, Please make a proper backup before starting anything relative. Backup is also necessary because installing the Windows will clear all the files from the hard disk.
User can simply create a backup of the PC using Windows built-in System Backup options, or using the third-party tools. With a full image backup, you know that you can restore the image and have your PC running again just like it was when you made the backup.
3. Turn Off Antivirus
Usually, the antivirus can disrupt or interfere with the process of Windows upgrade. It is advisable to simply turn off or uninstall the Antivirus software before starting with the update process. You can always reinstall a Windows 10 version after the update is done if you want to use something other than Windows Defender.
4. Windows Update Assistant
Another important tool to start the process of Windows 10 up-gradation is the Update Assistant that helps to execute the task of Windows 10 upgrade. The update tool is capable to figure out the best version for your computer. On the basis of the current version, Windows Update Assistant can easily pick the right version to be installed over your system.
Another importance of using the update assistant is that it can simply download the correct version according to hardware configurations. If the user is using the 32-bit version of windows earlier, then they need to install 32-bit version of Windows 10 also. Update tool also can easily figure out the edition of Windows that you are using and needs to upgrade. For example, If a user is running Windows 7 home, then it will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home edition only.
Steps To Upgrade To Windows 10 For Free
Follow the steps below for windows 10 free upgrade;
Step 1: Make sure that you have a genuine version of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 installed on your PC. If not, then download any version of the previous Windows and install it to your PC. After installation Activate the Windows using a genuine Product key.
Step 2: Take a complete backup of your Windows PC using the backup tool or any other method. It is advisable to create a backup so that user can further easily install the windows 10 back to their settings and favorites.
Step 3: Now the user needs to create the Windows 10 Installer. This can also be done using the Windows 10 Media creation tool. After creating the bootable DVD or Hard drive, all you have to do is to upgrade your current version of Windows to latest Windows 10. The best method is to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 as compared to other versions.
Step 4: Now connect the installation media disk with your CPU and restart your computer. Press F2 continuously while the PC is getting restarted. Once you enter the BIOS setup keep following the instructions to install Windows 10.
Step 5: Reboot the computer once again when all the processes are done.
Step 6: After the installation runs, you’ll be asked to provide your key. Enter it here and click Next.
After completing the process stated above, Just open the Windows Update Centre and follow the options to activate Windows 10 without a product key. Installing Windows 10 using this method will automatically activate the digital license to Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
Since the digital license is valid for a particular ID of products, it is advisable to perform a clean installation so that no error occurs while upgrading and activating to Windows 10. This method does not require any product key.
MUST READ: Steam Disk Write Error
How to Configure Windows 10 After Upgrade?
After Upgrading to Windows 10, User can simply take the use of windows 10 assistive technology to set up the Windows. If not then there are other random methods too. When the user seeks to sign up for the Windows 10 for the first time after installation, there are certain steps that need to be taken care off. Follow the list to configure Windows 10 after its installation.
- Firstly the user would be prompted to verify the user account. Make sure to create a new user account using the Microsoft servers rather trying to access the older one.
- Next, the user will be asked for configuring the Privacy Settings over your computer.
- The super privacy-conscious among you may want to just turn everything off (and that’s fine), but take the time to poke through the options.
- Now choose to either turn on Cortona or not. We would recommend activating the Cortona as it is the incredible digital assistant for Windows 10 PC.
- And finally, you’re introduced to some of Windows 10’s new built-in apps—apps that will become the default for opening the types of files they support unless you click the little “Let me choose my default apps” link at the bottom left of the screen.
- Now windows will start checking for any software update available for Windows 10 online. Once the Windows gets updated, the user is ready to use it as they want.
- At this point, it is advisable to restore the backup taken from the previous version of your Windows.
- Now is the time to check on your apps to see if they survived the upgrade process, as well as to plug in your peripherals and make sure that all your hardware works.